Warrant Officer Stuart Marshall Cross


National Archives catalogue reference - WO 208/3320/91


Name: 1051162 W/O. Cross, Stuart Marshall.

Unit: O.A.D.U., 44 Group, Transport Command, R.A.F.

Captured: Ragusa, 28th December 1941.

Left: Campo 59 (Servigliano), 14th September 1943.

Left: Casablanca, 11th July 1944.

Arrived: St. Mawgan, 12th July 1944.

Date of Birth: 21st January 1920.

R.A.F. Service: Since 28th August 1940.

O.T.U.: No.15 (Harwell).

Conversion Unit: Nil.

Post in crew: Second pilot.

Peacetime Profession: Insurance Clerk.

Private Address: 18 Lamond Drive, St. Andrews, Fife.


Other members of the Crew:

P/O. BECKETT (pilot);

Sgt. HOLMES (navigator);

Sgt. ASHTON (wireless operator);

Sgt. VEITCH (front gunner); and

Sgt. DAVIS (rear gunner).


All map references are to ITALY 1:250,000.


1. Capture:


We crash-landed owing to shortage of petrol, and I was captured at RAGUSA on 28 Dec 41.


2. Camps in which imprisoned:


ROME Airport                        31 Dec 41 - 17 Jan 42.

Campo 59 (SERVIGLIANO)  17 Jan 42 - 14 Sep 43.


3. Attempted Escapes:




4. Left Campo 59 (SERVIGLIANO):


After the Armistice had been signed the Italians were more lenient in their treatment. On 14 Sep the M.O., Capt. J.D. MILLER, who had taken over the duties of S.B.O., told us to leave the camp. The guards fired a few shots, but one of their officers told them to go to their barracks, and we left the camp.


I was accompanied by Sgt. C. COWLEY, Hamps. Regt. We walked South and took approximately the following route:- MONTEFALCONE (Sheet 25, X 5989) where we stayed for four days - QUINZANO (X 5883) where we stayed until 2 Nov - ROCCA DE FLUVIONE (B 5872) - TERAMO (Sheet 29, B 7551) - COLLEDORO (B 7835) - ARSITA (B 8133) where we stayed until 13 Dec. We went to FARINDOLA (B 8527) and then back to ARSITA remaining there until about 15 Apr 44. While here I met Spr. STOCKWELL, F., R.E., Tpr. BANNISTER, Tank Corps and Pte. HANNAH, W. New Zealand Infantry. Pte. HANNAH and Spr. STOCKWELL were captured by the Germans on 22 Feb 44. Tpr. BANNISTER left me on 15 Apr to go to COLLEDORO.


COWLEY and I remained together and we took the following route:- RASCIANO (B 7943) (two days) - ARSITA - BISENTI (B 8336) (two months) - and CASTELLI (B 7631). I left COWLEY here and returned alone to BISENTI.


On 23 Jun I met an Italian officer who told me that the area was no longer occupied by the Germans. He escorted me to CHIETI (C 1516) where I contacted the British forces.


A party of R.A.S.C. took me to ORTONA (C 3317). I was sent to TORINO DI SANGRO (Sheet 30, C 4503) and thence to NAPLES where I arrived on 27 Jun, and completed a questionnaire. On 9 Jul I left NAPLES for CASABLANCA en route for the U.K.


Return to Escape Menu