Sergeant Roy Marlow


National Archives catalogue reference - WO 208/3320/90


Name: 1268627 Sgt. Marlow, Roy.

Unit: 70 Squadron, M.A.A.F., R.A.F.

Captured: S.W. of Tobruk, 6th June 1942.

Left: Campo 82 (Laterina), 12th September 1943.

Left: Naples, 9th July 1944.

Arrived: U.K., 12th July 1944.

Date of Birth: 8th November 1921.

R.A.F. Service: Since 7th October 1940.

O.T.U.: Nil.

Conversion Unit: Nil.

Post in crew: Air gunner.

Peacetime Profession: Grocer.

Private Address: 1, Ruxley Lane, Ewell, Surrey.


Other members of the Crew:

W/O. LEECH, F.B. (first pilot);

P/O. MacALLEN, D.H. (second pilot);

W/O. TAYLOR, J.C. (air observer);

F/Sgt. RYHER, A.V.W. (wireless operator/air gunner);

F/Sgt. BRISTOWE, E.R. (wireless operator/air gunner).


1. Capture:


We were shot down by Flak 100 miles S.W. of TOBRUK on 6 Jun 42 whilst on a special operation.


2. Camps in which imprisoned:


TRIPOLI                          Jul 42 - Dec 42.

LUKKA                           Dec 42 - Apr 43.

Campo 82 (LATERINA)  Apr 43 - 12 Sep 43.


3. Attempted Escapes:


On 16 Jun 43 I was with a working party at RUFINA (ITALY 1:250,000, Sheet 19, Q 9773) and whilst two of the sentries were engaged in conversation Ernest HILL, Royal Corps of Signals and I got over the wire. We went into the mountains, walking by night and lying up by day. We had a small amount of rations with us and we dug up potatoes during the night. We were still in uniform and on 20 Jun we were seen and arrested by some Black Shirts and taken back to camp.


4. Left Campo 82 (LATERINA):


On 12 Sep 43 I was in charge of a squad of escapers who had to report every two hours. The Germans had not yet taken over the camp and at 1700 hrs we managed to cut the wire and walk out. The whole working party got away. I proceeded on my own and took approximately the following route:- LATERINA (Sheet 23, R 1538) - ASCIANO (R 00). I was given civilian clothes at LATERINA and at ASCIANO I was helped by an Englishman married to an Italian woman. He gave me food, money (200 lire) and a compass. I left ASCIANO on 14 Sep and continued via SINALUNG (R 10) - CORTONA (R 31) - UMBERTIDE (R 61) - PERUGIA (W 69) - TODI (W 65) - TERNI (Sheet 28, A 84) to M. ROSATO (B 0736) where I got into touch with some rebels and joined them for two days. I helped shoot up a German lorry (early Oct). I then crossed the RIETI-AQUILA road and reached ROCCO-DI-MEZZO (Sheet 29, B 6000). On 28 Oct I had reached GORIANO VALLI (G 7397), where I fell sick and was in bed for three months in the house of some Italians.


On about 28 May 44 I was picked up by the Germans who were checking identity cards. I was in German hands for three days and maintained that I was an Italian. I was taken to a prison about 20 kms. from GORIANO VALLI. I managed to stand on a wheel-barrow and climb over a wall and got away. I was fired at, but not hit. I went into the mountains and reached TIONE (B 6900), where I stayed with some other Italians.


On about 20 Jun I went South to try and make contact with our troops. I was picked up at RAIANO (G 8488) by some American troops. I was sent via ROME to NAPLES, from whence I was flown to the U.K.


Return to Escape Menu