Translation by the London Delegate of the International Committee of the Red Cross



Visited on October 5th. and 6th. by Mr. Bin[or?].


Camp Leaders - Sgt. Richard M. CHAPMAN - American No. 34205973 POW No. 1004

                          Sgt. Victor R. CLARKE - British No. 959892 POW No. 23600


Camp Leader elected but not recognised by the Commandant -

                          Sgt. Francis PAULES, No. 10601393 POW No. 772


Strength - 7089 Americans - 2146 in Camp A

                                             1959 "      "     B

                                             1913 "      "     C

                                             1071 "      "     D

                 886 British - 606 British Isles

                                     147 Canadians

                                       37 Australians

                                       22 New Zealanders

                                         8 South Africans

                                         1 Norwegian

                                         2 French

                                       58 Poles

                                         5 Czechslovak


General remarks - The first 64 arrivals entered Stalag Luft IV on May 14th. 1944. Two weeks later Stalag Luft IV was officially opened. Since then, the strength has been continually increased by arrivals of small groups of about one hundred men until July 18th. and 19th. on which dates the strength was doubled by the arrival of 2400 Americans and 800 British from Stalag Luft VI. The strength reached the present figure by groups coming from Wetzlar and each week from Budapest, making in all 600 airmen. Except for the medical personnel, the chaplains and nine privates of the British Army, the prisoners at Stalag Luft IV are all American and British airman, N.C.O.


Situation - Stalag Luft IV is situated at about 20 kilometres to the south of a town and is placed in a clearing away from the centre.


Accommodation - The camp is divided into 5 distinct parts separated by barbed wire fences. Camps A, B and C contain Americans only. Camp D contains American and British. The Main Camp includes the infirmary, food and clothing storerooms. Today Stalag Luft IV has twice too many inmates. The men are housed in forty wooden huts, each hut containing 200 men. The huts are only partially finished; new arrivals are expected and more huts are being erected. The dormitories had been prepared for 16 men in two-tiered beds but there are not sufficient beds for some rooms contain up to 24 men each. At Camps A and B, a third tier of beds has been installed, whereas beds have been removed from Camp D. There is not a single bed in Camp C and 1900 men sleep on the floor; 600 of them have no mattresses - only a few shavings to lie on - some have to lie right on the floor. Each prisoner has two German blankets.

        None of the huts can be properly heated. The Delegate only saw five small iron stoves in the whole camp. Some of the huts in Camp D have not even chimneys.

        Each camp has two open air latrines and huts have a night latrine with two seats. The latrines are not sufficient as they are not emptied often, the only lorry for this work being used elsewhere.

        The prisoners have no means of washing - there are no shower baths are there is only one coal heated geyser in the camp of 100 litres for 1000 men. Fleas and lice are in abundance no cleansing having been done.


Food - The German food is no worse than at other camps. The first day of the Delegates' visit the men had received bad meat which was however taken back again and next day the meat was quite fresh. On the other hand, prisoners cannot check the distribution of rations, the official weekly menus not having been posted in the camp.

        Each camp has a kitchen for preparing German rations, except the Main Camp. Each kitchen has 5 or 6 cooking utensils holding 300 litres; these utensils are sufficient for cooking German rations but there are no means of cooking food from collective consignments which it is forbidden to prepare outside the kitchen.


Collective consignments - Food - Since Stalag Luft IV has been opened, Camp Leaders have never been in a position to make a proper check on the arrival and distribution of collective consignments, which was still possible recently in other camps in Germany. The Camp Commandant has taken no account of the Camp Leaders complaints regarding this matter and the latter are not allowed to be present when the consignments arrive at the station. The distribution is entirely dealt with by the Camp authorities, who distribute supplies or stop them on their own initiative. The same applies to the Invalid Food Parcels, part of which are stored with the other Red Cross parcels; doctors have no access to Invalid Parcel stocks. The ten last consignments from Geneva were handled without any checking by the Camp Leader who, when the corresponding receipts were present to him for signature on August 28th., refused to sign them. These consignments were the following -

1st. June L 589 GG

8th.   "    E 588

13th  "    E 666 5 N

16th. "    M 665 S G

16th. "    S 663 S C

14th. June E 667 S N

16th.   "    N 664 S C

17th.   "    N 670 S C

2nd.    "    E 669

1st.     "    E 668  

        Five wagons of American food parcels arrived in the camp at the beginning of August. On September 17th. the contents of the wagons were shown to the Camp Leaders and they were informed that the trucks had been opened and that the total number of parcels had not arrived.

        As already mentioned above, Stalag Luft VI was evacuated on July 14th/15th. The stock of collective consignments on July 12th, was 52,000 parcels. Prisoners received 12,000 parcels to take with them to the new camp and the 40,000 remaining parcels were to have been equally divided between the two new camps, when evacuation had finished. Up to this day, the 20,000 parcels due for Stalag Luft IV had never arrived. It is not possible to state if Stalag 357 (to where most of the British were evacuated) received the parcels which should have been sent there, it is to be feared that these 40,000 parcels will never reach their proper destination.

        It must also be said that a great number of the 6000 parcels which the prisoners brought with them from Stalag Luft VI to Stalag Luft IV must have been lost in view of the very bad conditions in which the journey took place and the long march to the new camp, when the prisoners were obliged to abandon a great number or had them taken away. On account of this shortage, the American prisoners at Stalag Luft IV had had to go on half-rations since their arrival, except during a period of two weeks. The Americans have still about 10000 parcels making a week and a half reserves. On the other hand, the British have about 7000 parcels and 2000 Kilos of bulk food which would cover their needs over four months and a half with the new system of rationing.

        British prisoners had to abandon over a million cigarettes and 150 Kilos of tobacco during the transfer from one camp to another and when controlled on arrival here. Up to the present only a quarter of these cigarettes have been issued to the prisoners (American and British).


Clothing - Clothing consignments which should have arrived at Stalag Luft VI from Stalag Luft IV have also not been spared. On leaving Stalag Luft VI, each prisoner had a proper outfit. There remained in the camp about 2500 pairs of boots, 3000 tunics, 2500 trousers, 3000 shirts and many other articles. Up to the present nothing has been rendered to the prisoners of Stalag Luft IV except 155 pairs of boots, although they are in great need of clothing. They also had to abandon a great deal of their clothing on the way or it was taken from them on arrival here; up to now only part of the clothing has been given back. The same applies to the Red Cross bags which are indispensable for storing clothing. Prisoners coming from Wetzlar had the same experience. A great many prisoners at Stalag Luft VI had not been able to change their clothes for over a month and have been deprived of their toilet requisites.

        The Camp Leaders have no control over clothing stocks at Stalag Luft IV; they could not therefore discuss this matter with the Delegate. They have never been shown notices of arrival of such consignments from Geneva. Distribution is entirely in the hands of the Camp authorities and the needs of each camp are not taken into account. When distribution takes place, the Camp Leaders are not asked to state the quantities required. There is urgent need for the distribution of great coats and warm clothing for the prisoners' comfort in the cold season which has just started, especially in view of the lack of heating.

        Generally speaking, the prisoners' clothing is in bad condition; they are very short of underclothing due in some instance to the fact that shirts from the British Red Cross consignments have not been distributed for the German authorities special reasons. In this connection it must be mentioned that in many cases, and specially in camp A, German sentinels and German workmen were to be mere who wore American effects. On September 23rd. a lorry and three trailers left the Main Camp loaded with new American clothing sent by the Red Cross.


Medical attention -

        Senior American Medical Officer - Captain Henry WYNSEN M.O. U.S. Army, POW No.3063, Army No.0-424471

        Senior British Medical Officer - Captain Robert POLLOCK, R.A.M.C. No.719

        Besides the two doctors above mentioned, there are an American doctor, a British doctor and British dentist working in the infirmary, also 14 medical personnel.

        The infirmary has 132 beds, which figure represents 1¾% of the camp strength. This figure should be at least 3% for 8000 prisoners, i.e. 240 beds. The infirmary is full up and slight cases have to be left in the huts. Such slight operations as opening of abscesses, local anesthetics, intravenous piques and so forth are carried out in a small operating ward. More serious cases are sent to Stargard or Belgard hospitals. The general state of health is not bad. The doctors complain of the frequency of skin trouble which cannot be avoided with the present deficient sanitary arrangements.

        There are not sufficient medical supplies and the doctors would be grateful if a large quantity of medical supplies and instruments could be sent; if it is not possible to do this, the following are the articles most urgently needed -

                3 dozen thermometers

                200,000 units Diptheric Antitoxin

                2,000 tubs Sulfodiozol

        There is not sufficient medical personnel but it is not recommended to ask for personnel from other camps. There are enough qualified medical assistants among the airmen who would be quite prepared to help, if authorised by the Camp authorities.

        Next to the infirmary are two huts, one of which is used principally by the medical personnel. The doctors (who are all reliable) are shut into their rooms at 6 p.m. and cannot come out until the next morning. Medical attention to patients in the second hut is difficult on account of this ruling.

        Doctors have no access to Red Cross Medical Parcels which hinders treatment.

        The medical personnel cannot go out and space should be reserved round the huts to permit of members taking some exercise.

        As already stated, the infirmary set up in the Main Camp has no kitchen, food is brought from one of the camps. It is absolutely necessary, in the patients' interest, that this system should be changed. It must be pointed out that patients on diet cannot digest German rations and special cases should at least receive a little white bread and oatmeal.

        Doctors complain that their Red Cross supplies such as pyjamas, blankets, massage apparatus, toilet requisites, dental requisites, were confiscated on their arrival here.

        Under these circumstances, a consignment of Invalid Food Parcels is desire; the camp has now in stock -

                211 British Invalid Parcels

                676 American Invalid Parcels

        and doctors would be grateful if their stock could be raised to 3000 parcels.

        An American doctor, Captain Wilbor E. McKEE, MO USA 0-272399, POW 3056, who assisted in the infirmary, is on bad terms with the Camp Commander. He is forbidden to practise. It is suggested, in view of the large amount of work the doctors have on hand, that an exchange should be made in case he should not longer be allowed to practise.


Dentist - A New Zealand dentist, Captain A.D. AETKEN, NZDC, gives attention to 8000 N.C.O. He has no instruments and can only work a few hours a week with those belonging to the Germans. He should at least be in a position to give daily attention and a list of dental requirements has been forwarded to Geneva.


Recreation, intellectual and spiritual needs - Classes were started on September 18th. 1944 at Stalag Luft IV. Groups were organised and specialists teach all branches. There are classes in English literature, French conversation, Spanish for advanced pupils and beginners, Italian for beginners, physiology, practical science, aviation, navigation, etc. It must be pointed out that on account of the distance between the four district camps this organisation can only benefit part of the camp. The above details apply to Camp D for British and American. Up to now, 318 students have entered for classes. No classroom being available, classes are held in laundries and huts for two hours in the morning and afternoon; 43 students from various universities are preparing for examinations. There are 246 students in Camp D. They are short of writing material and have to use cigarette and wrapping paper. The Y.M.C.A. recently sent them a small parcel of pencils but they are still greatly in need.

        The camp has a technical library of 1900 books brought from the general library at Stalag Luft IV.


Needs - As in other camps, the students request Past Examination Papers, specially those of the London University, Royal Society of Arts, City and Guild of London, Chartered Institute of Secretaries, Bankers Institute, etc.

        No sport is possible for the few sports requisites which the prisoners were able to bring from the former camp can no longer be used.

        There are several excellent musicians on the strength of these camps but they have unfortunately no instruments. A jazz band at Camp B which included first class musicians only possesses a chromatic accordion, a double-bass and a guitar.

        Three chaplains are attached to the Camp -

                Capt. Rev. T.J.E. LYNCH, Catholic chaplain

                Civilian Internee Rev. A. JACKSON, Protestant clergyman

                Capt. Rev. G.R. MORGAN, Church of England

        Religious services are held in a room called the Red Cross Room and which serves for various other purposes (storing clothes, books, etc.) The room is unfortunately not large enough to hold many prisoners wishing to attend. The Catholic chaplain urgently requests the return of certain church furnishings which were taken away during the transfer from one camp to the other. He is particularly anxious concerning his consecrated altar, surplices and his personal copy of the New Testament. The chaplains also report that a great many prisoners were deprived of their religious tokens on arriving at Stalag Luft IV and that these tokens have not been given back. They further complain that they cannot journey from the different camps to accomplish their ministry. Their activity is greatly hampered by the fact that they many only go from one part of the camp to another accompanied by sentries; they also experience difficulties once on the way. The Protestant chaplain also complains of the confiscation of Bibles, religious books and church furnishings. He also has great difficulty in carrying out his ministry. The Protestant chaplain Jackson, civilian internee, has been deprived of his black cassock which has not been returned in spite of repeated requests. He is obliged to wear a grey coat and carries out his ministry when the camp authorities give him the possibility of so doing.


Mail - As in other camps, the mail service is affected by actual circumstances. The prisoners, however, are inclined to consider that no steps are being taken to help matters. Mail leaves the camp once a week.

        The Camp Leaders complain that lately they have not been allowed to wire to Geneva.

        On arrival in the camp, a good number of prisoners had to give up letters and photos received from home; in most cases nothing has been given back; 261 British prisoners are waiting to have their cherished letters back. Also, a great many prisoners have not their personal Address Books which have been kept by the camp authorities. We have sent to Geneva a list of prisoners who are without news of their next-of-kin for a year.


Discipline - Report on the first convoy from Stalag Luft VI to Stalag Luft IV - This information was given by T/Sgt. R.S. PAULES, USAAF, former Camp Leader at Stalag Luft VI, now non-recognised American Camp Leader at Stalag Luft IV).

        On the morning of July 14th., the German camp officers advised the Camp Leader that 2000 American prisoners were to be evacuated. The prisoners were told to be ready at 4 o'clock in the afternoon; they were not informed of their destination. The Camp Commandant ordered that each one should take as much luggage as possible. Each man was given two food parcels for the journey, thus 2000 prisoners went in groups of 500 to the Main Camp where the parcels were handed out. They were then informed that the departure would take place at 4 o'clock next morning. The Camp Commander informed the Camp Leader that 382 other Americans would leave with half the British strength the following day, with Sgt. CLARKE, Camp Leader. The American Camp Leader had entrusted T/Sgt. N.R. GOODWIN, POW 2662, Army No. 29279541, with the care of the Americans remaining for that second convoy, as he was the Assistant Camp Leader.

        In the morning of July 15th. 1944, the first group of 2000 Americans left the camp for the station about 5 kilometers away. They were under strict but correct supervision. Two halts were called on the way. They were placed on the train, 40 men in each cattle-truck and taken to the port. The journey lasted 2 hours. At the port 1700 prisoners were placed on board; the remaining 300 went on the second boat which was apparently to leave next morning with the remainder.

        The 1700 Americans went on board the first boat accompanied by a British doctor, a dentist and a chaplain. The luggage was placed in a heap, part of it was damaged on this account. There was not sufficient room on board for everybody to lie down and a great number had to remain seated. Many of them sat or lay upon the others. The heat was terrible. Four prisoners went to get water for their comrades but only for three hours each time. During the night no water could be had on board. A prisoner had to be taken up to the upper deck to bring him round and several others were upset by the heat, the lack of space and air.

        The Camp Leader, the interpreter (Sgt. William KREBS, POW 939, Army No. 23297748, the British doctor and the chaplain were in a little cabin on the bridge. They were each allowed to go on the bridge for one hour. Following protestation to the Major in charge of the convoy, the Camp Leader was allowed to visit the men. The German authorities refused to allow more water or to let the men go up in groups on the bridge. No lifebelts were available so that if a wreck had occurred all on board would have perished. All attempts by the Camp Leader and the Doctor to lighten the prisoners' sufferings were in vain and the situation remained thus during the whole of the voyage, which lasted 40 hours. In the course of the voyage, at 5.30 a.m. July 16th. Sgt. Walter GETSY was shot; a special report on this matter will be given.

        On arrival at the landing stage, the Major in charge informed the Camp Leader that the men would be handcuffed for the journey in the train. The Camp Leader protested and refused to inform prisoners of this decision.

        The prisoners were taken out of the vessel. They had to leave on board a great deal of luggage and effects as they no longer had the force, after such an exhausting journey, to carry their luggage up the iron ladders. The Camp Leader protested to the Major in charge re the abandoned luggage; the latter promised it should be sent on to Stalag Luft IV in the course of the day.

        Handcuffed two by two, the prisoners were placed in cattle trucks, 40 men per truck. The journey from the port to the railway station took about 18 hours.

        On July 18th. at 6 a.m. the men were taken out of the trucks, they remained handcuffed and were placed in marching order. The Camp Leader protested to the German officer in charge and pointed out that it was impossible for handcuffed prisoners to carry their luggage. The protest was useless and the men had to walk rapidly on foot from the station to the camp, sometimes even running. The file was pushed along by bayonets and worried by dogs to make the men run. They had to let their luggage drop. The Camp Leader, the Doctor and the interpreter marched at the end of the file. The luggage abandoned on the roadside was picked up by unknown followers. Some prisoners managed to carry their packs in spite of all but had them torn away by bayonets.

        On arrival in the camp, the Camp Leader saw the officer in charge to lodge a protest for all that had happened and for the lost luggage; he was assured that all lost effects would be brought to the camp.

        288 prisoners from this convoy arrived in the camp with bayonet wounds, rifle butt wounds and dog bites.

        Report on the second convoy from Stalag Luft VI to Stalag Luft IV - This convoy included 800 British prisoners from Camp K, Stalag Luft VI and the 382 remaining Americans. The journey took 4 days in all. The conditions on the boat were the same as for the first convoy, also the railway journey although the prisoners were not handcuffed. Five hundred only were handcuffed during the journey on foot from the Station to Stalag Luft IV, they were placed on the side of the file. They underwent the same treatment on the way as their comrades. Out of 800 British, 77 sustained bayonet wounds, 8 had dogbites and 29 had received blows. The British Camp Leader, Sgt. Victor R. CLARKE, No.959892, POW No.23600m was in charge of the British P.O.W.

        On arrival at Stalag Luft IV, prisoners with bayonet wounds etc. were attended by the German doctor; a British doctor and medical personnel assisted. During the march, a member of the medical personnel went to the aid of a wounded man who had fallen and was hurt by a bayonet, his bandaging material was damaged.

        Searches on arrival at Stalag Luft IV - The personal belongings of the American and British prisoners were taken away on arrival (for safety's sake "Abwehrgründen) but up to the present a very small amount has been restituted. No receipts were given for many of the articles confiscated and the prisoners were also deprived of their receipts for articles taken away in other camps. For British prisoners only, a series of valuable objects (90 cigarette cases, 33 wrist watches, 28 pencils, 22 fountain pens, 23 cigarette lighters and others) had not been restituted on October 30th.

        Medical stores - the British lost 14 pairs of spectacles, 7 sets of false teeth and other objects, also 26 Red Cross satchels, 9 ordinary satchels and other objects of common use.

        The number of valuable articles, those of common use and medical stores taken from American prisoners is in the same proportion and no restitution has been made up to the present.


Interview with Camp Leaders - The Delegate was able to converse with the Camp Leaders all day on October 5th. The numerous questions raised could not be settled in one day and the Delegate was allowed to spend the day in October 6th. (without witnesses) with the Camp Leaders and Doctors.


Final Interview - The Delegate was unfortunately not able to speak to Oberstleutnant B. in charge of Stalag Luft IV; this officer was not in the camp during the Delegate's two day visit and the latter postponed the final interview to Sunday, October 8th. when the Camp Commander was to return. When the Delegate returned to the camp on Sunday for the final interview, the Camp Commander was back but excused himself from meeting the Delegate for health reasons and sent his deputy. The final interview was therefore purely formal. The Delegate could not thus obtain definite replies from the Camp Commandant to the important questions pending. The Delegate therefore sent a detailed report on camp conditions for prisoners at Stalag Luft IV to the Auswürtige Amt" and the Oberkommando des Wehrmacht".


Conclusion - Stalag Luft IV is a bad camp although the situation the accommodation and the food do not differ from those in other camps.


Final interview with the Camp Leaders - Before leaving the camp that Delegate was allowed to again see the American CHAPMAN and the British Camp Leader CLARKE and informed them of the result of his recent interview with the German officers. The following points had been submitted and discussed with the latter:-

        1. Camp Leader - The American Chapman came to the camp in May with the first arrivals. He was officially in charge until the arrival of the large number of prisoners from Stalag Luft VI necessitated the election of an American Camp Leader, PAULES, who had previously acted as Camp Leader at Stalag Luft VI and who was elected with a 90% majority. The Camp Commander, however, never sanctioned the vote and would not change his attitude. The Delegate considers that a new election or confirmation would have no effect and would only embitter relations between the camp authorities and the prisoners. Mr. CHAPMAN declared in a letter written during the Delegate's visit addressed to the Camp Commandant that he had never considered himself to be the American Camp Leader, consequently he could not be recognised as such by Geneva. He therefore resigned his temporary duties in favour of his comrade PAULES, whom he greatly esteems and whose qualities he appreciates. The Delegate thanked Mr. Chapman for his kind attitude and begged him to remain in office in the American prisoners' interests, he requested Mr. Chapman to continue to bear his heavy burden in co-operation with the British Camp Leader CLARKE, with his comrade PAULES, and to uphold the prisoners' interests with placidity, prudence and wisdom, and in the army spirit.

        2. Collective consignments - The Delegate lodged protests for the following -

                (a) the restriction imposed since the opening of the camp and the Camp Leaders' right to control collective consignments -

                (b) the distribution of collective consignments without reference to the Camp Leaders -

                (c) the prejudice caused by the fact that the Camp Leaders are only shown copies of receipts for consignments arriving in camp -

                (d) the fact that it is impossible to cook food sent in collective consignments -

                (e) the reception by the sole German authorities of 10 collective consignments during the first half of June; Camp Leaders were only informed of arrival several months after and could not therefore send receipts back to the International Committee of the Red Cross -

                (f) the probable loss of several thousand parcels which, in spite or promises made to the Camp Leaders, were never sent on to the new camp. The total amounts to 40,000 parcels, half of which were to have been sent to Stalag Luft IV and the other half to Stalag 357. The evacuation took place in July and no contrary ruling from the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht had been promulgated at that time.

                (g) the loss of numerous Red Cross Parcels during the journey to Stalag Luft IV -

                (h) the removal of Red Cross material on arrival at Stalag Luft IV on July 18th. and 19th. -

                (i) the removal of medical stores which have not yet been restituted -

                (j) the total suppression of all control on clothing sent in collective consignments -

                (k) the fact that original notices of arrival of clothing are never tendered -

                (l) the distributing in the camp which is carried out without taking any account of the prisoners' needs or the Camp Leaders' suggestions -

                (m) the stealing of clothing from collective consignments by the sentries at Stalag Luft IV -

                (n) the loss of numerous Red Cross overalls, satchels and great coats on the way from the station to Stalag Luft IV.

        3. Accommodation - the Delegate lodged a protest against faulty installations in the camp (ventilation, stoves, shower-baths and vermin, latrines and lack of water).

        4. Food - the Delegate also protested on account of the rations allowed by the German authorities, which are not posted up and cannot be checked.

        5. Medical attention - the Delegate requested that the American doctor, Dr. McKee, No.13056, should be exchanged as the camp doctors are overworked (this in the event of Dr. McKee continuing to have the authority to practise).

                The Delegate asked that doctors should be allowed to go from one hut in the infirmary to another until 9 p.m., to carry out their duties.

                The 14 members of the medical personnel do not suffice for 8000 prisoners; ten other qualified medical orderlies should be nominated. The Delegate requested that doctors should have access to medical stores and protested against such stores being opened for reasons of safety ("Abwehr") thus risking contamination.

                The Delegate requested that a kitchen should be set up in the infirmary; also that white bread and oatmeal should be distributed to patients on diet.

        6. Dental service - As there is only one dentist available for 8000 men, he should be allowed to practise all the week whenever he can use the German equipment.

                The Delegate requested that the doctor and the dentist should be granted the facility of cabling to the International Committee of the Red Cross, Berlin, for urgent needs.

                The Delegate asked that the next Mixed Medical Commission should take place in the camp; also that the infirmary should be enlarged to contain the 240 beds indispensable for 8000 prisoners.

        7. Spiritual needs - The room used for religious services is too small and not suitable as it is also used for various other needs.

                The Delegate requested that the chaplains should, if necessary, be allowed to go everywhere in the camp, accompanied by a sentry. Further, that religious objects confiscated during the transfer (altar, surplices etc). should be restituted.

        8. Mail - The Delegate begs that prisoners should be given back their letters, photos, Address Books, which were taken away.

                He also asked that the letters from the President of the Canadian Relief Societies should be restituted.

        9. Discipline - The Delegate found that prisoners were making an effort to maintain excellent discipline, not as a result of action by the Camp authorities, but of their own free will.

                The Delegate protested against the confiscation of millions of cigarettes, only a small portion of which have been restituted; this confiscation was effected without any order having been received from the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht.

                The Delegate lodged a protest against the holding of personal belongings such as watches, rings etc. for which, in some cases, no receipts were given; many of such objects have not been restituted. Also for the holding of numerous receipts for articles confiscated in other camps.

                The Delegate regretted the lack of a canteen.

                The Delegate lodged a protest on the confiscation of personal cutlery of which the prisoners have great need. Also that the prisoners have been deprived of their shirts and under clothing which are in great demand.

                He protested against the serious breach of the Geneva Convention which occurred during the transfer and especially during the journey on foot from the station to the camp, also the searches on arrival. Over 1500 prisoners were partially handcuffed during their transfer, 340 prisoners were badly handled, wounded by bayonets, bitten by dogs and badly treated.