Lieutenant David Valentine Storrs


Unit : Headquarters, Royal Engineers

Army No. : 251041

Awards : Military Cross


David Storrs was born in Burma on the 18th February 1923, the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Bernard St. John Storrs and Marjorie Dyson. He joined the British Army in 1941 and was posted to Headquarters Royal Engineers, 1st Airborne Division, as a Field Engineer on the 1st September 1944. For his actions at Arnhem three weeks later, he was awarded the Military Cross. His citation reads:


On three successive nights, Lieutenant Storrs was in charge of Royal Engineer parties attempting to ferry, under fire, and in two-man reconnaissance boats, personnel across the River Lek. On the second night, 21st/22nd September, Lieutenant Storrs himself rowed across the fast running river twenty six times and brought twenty one soldiers of the Polish Parachute Brigade into the 1st Airborne Division bridgehead over from the South bank. In daylight on the 21st September, Lieutenant Storrs assisted the GSO1 {Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Mackenzie} and Commander Royal Engineers {Lieutenant-Colonel Eddie Myers} in crossing the river on their journey to report on the situation to 30 Corps, and on the night 22nd/23rd September, he again successfully crossed the river, met the GSO1 on his return from 30 Corps, at a prearranged rendezvous, and safely brought him back into the bridgehead area.


On two occasions, Lieutenant Storrs, regardless of his own safety, successfully organised parties to put out fires in the Divisional HQ area caused by enemy shelling - in one instance a large petrol dump fire - in another an Motor Transport park.


His endurance, his courage and his devotion to duty and leadership displayed by this officer throughout the whole period of the occupation of the bridgehead area, were of the very highest order, and he is recommended for an immediate award of the Military Cross.


Promoted to Captain on the 13th April 1945, Storrs returned to civilian life after the war and studied mining engineering at the Royal School of Mines, emerging with 2nd Class Honours. He was also awarded the Charleton Prize from the Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. David Storrs died at the Holy Saviour Hospital in Quebec, Canada, following an accident at a gold mine in Barraute, Abitibi, on the 21st February 1956. He left behind a wife, Heather Margaret, and a son and daughter.


Back to Divisional HQ

Back to Biographies Menu